Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Whimsical Native shooting bag

I've never done a Native portrayal but always been intrigued with how their items were adorned with beadwork, porcupine quills & the deer-hair tin cones to make some of the most beautiful items I've ever laid eyes on in books & museums. Well, not having the $$$ to be able to own any of the modern day artists items that fall into this category I decided to try & build my own a couple years ago & this was the result of that.
This one's made out of my first ever attempt of a bark-tan deer hide that I didn't get broke well enough so it's pretty stiff, similar to a "half-tan" hide, the flap is brain-tan with edge beading & I say this bag is "whimsical" because it has a wampum band sewn on the flap, my own artistic license there as I've never seen any original reference to this being done on an original bag. The deer-hair, tin cones were made up by Mark "Rooster" Roster & added as well as the woven wool strap by C.J. Wilde.

No comments:

Post a Comment