Wednesday, March 31, 2010

split-belly pouches

Split-belly pouches or small market wallets can be used for all kinds of stuff & these are small enough to wear looped over your belt, sash or even your powder horn for use as a day bag for hunting. They have a slit in them that you put your items in on both ends of the bag to balance it out & these 2 I've taken liberty to dress up a bit, this top one is made of fustian with some of my free-hand embroidery on it, I'll bet my Grandma or Mom never thought I'd be doing embroidery someday!
This one is made of deerskin, lined in checked cotton & the opening is bound in red wool, I took some stiff bark-tan deer hide that I had & cut the designs out on each end & inlaid the bark-tan in behind it for something different. I've used this one to carry a fire starting kit as well as a sewing kit in the past & I've made quite a few others in various styles but they always seem to sell pretty good at events. I completely hand sew these using linen thread, isn't folk art GREAT!


No comments:

Post a Comment