Sunday, March 28, 2010

It was just a matter of time!

I've been thinking about starting this blog for some time now to seperate my other long time hobby of "living in the past". I got into this hobby in 1984 & it's been a progression ever since but I've now got it narrowed down to a later 18th century time period & most of my gear reflects that.

When I go out to the woods to shoot or hunt I prefer to do it as our forefathers did who helped settle this great country with a flintlock, powder horn & shooting bag. For years I've been crafting what is now labeled as "folk art" in the form of leather bags, knife sheaths, beadwork, handmade wing-bone turkey calls, clothing, etc. This blog will feature pics of some of the items I make, use & collect as well as some of the other "folk art" I have by other very talented artists. It will also be the new home of me & my boys' hunting & woods running forays.

The header pic is of one of my fondest memories when my oldest son Delley took his first ever deer with a handcrafted flintlock by the talented Larry Cruise, I'll never forget that hunt & will probably do a detailed account of it sometime. My son's moved on to hunting mostly with modern firearms & archery equipment, but I hope he will always remember that special first deer with "dad's ol' flintlock", & who knows, maybe someday he'll return to his "roots" (I hope!) ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment